Request for Proposals: Affordable Materials Grants Round 18
Affordable Learning Georgia is issuing a Request for Proposals for Affordable Materials Grants with applications due by October 5th, 2020.
Affordable Learning Georgia’s Affordable Materials Grants are intended to:
- Explore and expand course materials transformation to include the adoption, adaptation, and creation of Open Educational Resources (OER); the adoption of materials available through GALILEO and USG libraries; and the use of other no-cost and low-cost materials.
- Provide support and time to faculty instructors, librarians, instructional designers, and other professional staff to meet, plan, review, and implement these approaches.
- Work toward equitable access to materials and lower materials costs for students and contribute to their retention, progression, and graduation.
Examples include: Examples of Transformation Grants projects include:
- Adopting an OpenStax Sociology textbook in place of a commercial textbook for Introduction to Sociology and creating new ancillary materials to support the adoption.
- Adapting existing Calculus OER to fit the learning outcomes of your particular course and then adopting these new materials in place of a commercial textbook.
- Creating new OER to adopt in place of a commercial textbook when there are no OER to cover the subject.
- Creating a Library Reading List to adopt in place of a commercial textbook when there are no OER to cover the subject.
- Adopting low-cost software and/or textbooks to ensure total required resource costs for students are under $40.00.
There are two types of Affordable Materials Grants:
Transformation Grants support individual instructors, teams of instructors, and entire departments, along with supporting professional staff, in replacing their existing commercial textbooks and materials in a specific course with no- or low-cost-to-students learning materials. These materials can include the following:
- Adoption, adaptation, and/or creation of Open Educational Resources (OER), such as open textbooks and ancillary materials.
- Adoption of library materials available in GALILEO and USG libraries at no additional cost to students.
- Adoption of no-cost materials outside of OER, such as freely available websites and multimedia.
- Adoption of low-cost materials, not exceeding $40.00 total per student.
Continuous Improvement Grants
Affordable Learning Georgia aims to support the sustainability of open educational resources through substantial improvements and adaptations of OER, the creation of new ancillary materials for existing OER courses, or the replacement of current OER in courses with new/better OER. Continuous Improvement Grants include:
- Revision of OER used in existing courses
- Creation of ancillaries for existing OER courses
- Replacement of current OER in courses with new/improved OER
- Read the Request for Proposals Document.
- Read the rubric for your type of grant:
- Fill out the Word version of the Application Form:
- Complete the Online Application Form as your final application: Online Application Link
Online Interest Meeting
A meeting will be held for anyone interested in applying for a grant on August 24, 2020 at 2:00pm Eastern. This meeting will be recorded. To join the meeting:
Dial-in option: +1 478-219-4222
Dial-in conference ID: 401 549 771#